Friday, November 14, 2008

My Brother and I...rare diagnosis...that we both have it!

Eosinophilic esophagitis is an emerging disease worldwide, as documented by recent case series from Switzerland, Australia, Italy, Spain, Japan, England, and the United States.1,2 Eosinophilic esophagitis mimics gastroesophageal reflux disease and may result in narrowing and stricture of the esophagus. I was diagnosed back in the summer and my brother was diagnosed in October with this...I had to go back to the doctor yesterday for a follow up at Loyola and my doctor looked at me when I asked her how often has she had both brother and sister with this..she said she has never had this happen to her at Loyola...she just shook her head and told me, "Cheryl I don't know what is happening with you, but you still always keep going and smiling!" I fought back the tears and shook my head as I told her all the things that have happened to me since I saw her last and she just couldn't believe all I am facing...she told me she is thinking of writing a medical paper on us..I just shook my head! I told her if I hear one more doctor tell me that! We have had that told to us too many times now! I just want it to stop...She is a really neat doctor and very caring! Just can't believe once again how strange that my brother and I would both have this throat disease! hugs, cheryl

No comments: